J. Bernard Schmidt Scholarship
The Board of Directors of the University Center at Harrisburg, Inc., is a nonprofit group that funds five scholarships each year to Dixon University Center students. The late J. Bernard Schmidt served as the president of this board, and the scholarship was renamed in his honor.
These scholarships, which are awarded to undergraduate and graduate students, are traditionally given each spring (deadline April 15), summer (deadline August 1), and fall (deadline November 15) semester to students advancing in degree programs offered at Dixon University Center.
Any student who is receiving less than 50% tuition reimbursement from another source is eligible for the scholarships, which can amount to a sum of $1000. To be eligible, the student must be matriculated in a degree program at Dixon University Center and also have a grade point average of at least 3.0 with 12 credits completed for undergraduate students or 3.5 and 6 credits completed for graduate students. The Board announces scholarships after the midpoint of each semester, and awards are made when students successfully complete the semester's coursework.
Tips for Scholarship Applicants
The scholarship committee offers the following tips for applicants:
- Your essay is a key deciding factor. Make sure it is concise, well written, and grammatically correct.
- Ask someone to comment and proofread your essay before submission. This person can be one of your references. If at least one of your references can relate your essay information in their reference comments, it will add value to your application.
- Information which is important to the committee review process is:
- Your progress in your academic program.
- The credits completed and to be completed for your program.
- The impact of your program on your life and aspirations.
- Your financial circumstances, any financial hardships you may be facing, and need for the scholarship assistance.
- The anticipated benefits of your education on local community and even the society at large.
- Your references should be outstanding. Handwritten references will be accepted however, it is preferred that they are completed electronically, printed, signed, scanned and emailed per the instructions on the bottom of the form.
- If you do not succeed in winning a scholarship, keep trying.